Leticia, is the gateway to the Colombian Amazon. It’s a small city comparing to Iquitos and Manaus but much better, secure, less touristic, with several potential and exotic places. Taking a day trip is perfect if you have small budget or you don’t like to take an escorted or organized tour. There are several places to sleep in Leticia and my recommendation is to stay at Mahatu GuestHouse, its an amazing hostel with lake and lots of resting and green areas. Day trips are ideal for people that wants a comfortable sleeping with a busy day doing activities in the jungle, tribes or the river.
What to do in Leticia Amazonas
Leticia is a city surrounded by the magic of the river, jungle, history and indigenous tribes. Each item can be done near Leticia with an escorted guide thru your trip, you cannot go to the jungle without a guide or someone that really knows the jungle because you can easily get lost.
Here is a list of few activities to do in Leticia Amazonas:
- Visit Local Museums
- Visit Yahuarcaca Lake
- Visit Indigenous Tribes
- Visit the local market
- Get into the Jungle
- City tour to Tabatinga Brasil
- Do adventure sports (Climbing trees)
Recommendations for your trip to Leticia Amazonas
We love that your trip in Leticia Amazonas is a lifetime journey in this magical region, we don’t have any security problem at our city but be aware with local pirate tourism agents in the city. There is a crew that likes to take down on tourist on the streets trying to sell you fake tours or really bad organize in the Javari Region, remember that in the Javari Region there are no police or army enforcement so anything can happen to you.
This crew is always on a motorcycle looking for backpackers, they will go up to you and hesitate with their tours. They speak English and are really into selling their fake or bad products, their service is not guaranteed nor even with standard security. Ask in your hostel about their service before booking a tour.
The worst part is that they like to have money in advance and then disappear for a week. Don’t be a fool and don’t get fool with their tourism service.
Things you need for your day trip in Leticia Amazonas
There are a few important things you must have for your day trips. Having this equipment, you can enjoy better your daily trip in Leticia.
- Rubber Boots: The jungle includes mud and snakes, you better have some so you can enjoy your trek.
- Rain Cover (Not Rain Jacket): We do not know when is going to rain but its really good to have something to cover you.
- Mosquito Repellent: Mosquitoes are include in the tour, have something to put in but dont use a 80% deet. There is bug repellent really good at Drogras la Rebaja in Leticia and the name is Bacterion, I recommend it.
- Hat: Sun strikes like a bullet and it really burns.
- Sunscreen: Must have it in all of your daily trips or you will have a shrimp tan.
Daily Trips in Leticia Amazonas you must take
- La Ruta de Eware – The Eware’s Trail: This a fantastic tour near Leticia Amazonas. Design by Sergio Rojas, it combines river – jungle – native traditions in a remote Tikuna village. This tour is doesn’t have any script or pre made itinerary, people decide what to do during the day and the activities are thrilling. You can walk from the jungle, fishing piranhas, sharing with the native community, seeing their rituals and dances, bird watching, or even swimming at the Yahuarcaca lake.The tour will start at 8:00 in the Leticia’s Port and the price is $145,000 including filtered water, lunch and English speaking translator.
- La Ruta de la Coca – The Coke Journey: This tour design by Sergio Rojas and it’s a thrilling long jungle trek on ancient Omagua’s native territories with local Bora Native tribes. This tour is mostly based on Amazon Jungle Treks and a mixture with local Uitoto-Bora tribes learning the real use of Coca leaves. Lunch will be held on a private natural brazilian reserve with a famous Cheff named Panduro.
- The tour will start at 8:00 in the Leticia’s Port and the price is $145,000 including filtered water, lunch and English speaking translator.
Incoming search terms: